Start an Egg Farm – Quicklinks Checklist
Let’s get started on the basics!
Below is a helpful overview of information for starting up your egg producing farm. This list may cause more questions than answers however you will be able to ask informed questions!
Timely information will assist you in getting it right from the start.
Roll away nests assist in reducing costs by keeping your eggs clean and reducing a need for an egg washer. Buy the Avio nest or 10 hole rollaway and add to your own trailer, shed or mobile setup.
Avio Colony Nests and accessories
The Avio has two manual counterweights for exclusion opening and closing, the collector is visible on the pictures for the product and is pulled by the operator, it is not under tension , has no rollers, but works for many people throughout Australia.
As the Avio nests are suitable for up to 250 layers per Avio, then joining Avios (in a row) or grouping in your paddock will work for your numbers of layers i.e. 2 Avio for 500 layers, 3 Avio for 750 layers, and so on.
- Single Avio Nest for 250 layers and overview of nest video and has choices of egg collector
- Avio dual nest for 500 layers (2 Avio modules in a row)
- Slats video on Bellsouth YouTube and the
- Free range 1000 layer movable house.
The eco collector (manual hand pulling egg belt) is the common egg collection point or the ‘captain’s wheel’ to wind egg belt where there are more than two Avio nests in row.
As egg printing is mandatory, we stock egg printers and egg printing cartridges. You would need to consider your ink colour choice.
If you have automated egg printing it is always good to have a manual egg stamper as a back up if your egg printer needs parts or servicing.
Hand or Manual Egg Stamping
- Hand single egg stamper with 4 ink colour choices and video on Bellsouth YouTube.
- Other hand stamping egg printing solutions and video on Bellsouth YouTube
Cartridge Egg Printer with hands free egg stamping
- Egg printer with cartridge and video on Bellsouth YouTube. Ink usage dependent on eggs per day and size of imprint.
When ordering an egg printer have your approved identifier (stamp code) ready to disclose so your egg printer can be ordered as soon as possible.
We recommend smallest font possible that is legible and your allocated letters/number only as this is a compliance cost.
Quick and easy egg handling tools
- Manual egg lifter comes as 6 in a row or 12 (two rows of 6)
- Egg handline in single collection crate or double collection crate
- and egg trays to fit, purchase individually or bulk buy trays by the box.
Sanitouch approximate wait time to manufacture is about 5 months (excluding holidays) DIY setup. DIY hot water unit.
Sanitouch offer a modular system of Egg washer > add candler > add Egg grader
- Sanitouch 5 video and info
- Sanitouch 10 info
- Sanitouch model 20CSG info and video (bigger version) with full cross loader we sold fairly recently (with extension). So eggs onto cross loader, onto spool spinner onto washer onto grader.
Bellsouth has also designed an egg wash liquid solution specifically for the Sanitouch system.
Please consider purchasing Quat and Chlorine strips if purchasing egg washing product for the first time.